I just got the Etsy gifts email, and it reminded me of that useful Merchandising desk post that will inspire me to draw things according to what was coming up the rest of the year.. I specially miss it around the holidays, because is when most events happen and more shop promotion occurs..
It used to be the best guide/help to come up with tags, treasuries and listing titles!
So I thought, that in the good spirit of that useful tool, we could start our own, from what we can tell might be coming soon..
I start with these post, and please comment to add more ideas to it:
OCTOBER 2013 MERCHANDISING TRENDS (based on previous posts, with updated info)
• Etsy Finds October gift guide is out:
• With this gift guide out, don't forget that more holiday emails might be coming up,and “holiday” season encompasses all aspects of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the classic December gifting holidays: Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa.
• Shopping pages: Now with categories being curated and some category searches, prepare your items' tags to fit the sections they most accurately belong. Today I see: Jewelry/necklaces - Halloween/Wreaths - Home/Serving ---- And now with guest bloggers and curators, there's more chances to adhere to other categories that weren't explored before. Check out Etsy Pages here---> www.etsy.com/pages?ref=hp_promo_pages
• Treasury tip: Create and label treasuries fitting seasonal themes for a chance to have your collection featured on Etsy’s homepage, linked from promotional emails, and new shopping pages. Pay special attention to using "Gift Guide" related to certain themes (men's, children's, music lover, art lover, etc.) to get more chances to be picked.
• October is Breast Cancer Awereness month: The color pink and ribbon symbol embody the universal themes surrounding this cause.
• Halloween: Halloween searches are in their prime right now. Make sure to take advantage of the next three weeks of seasonal shopping by tagging your Halloween products appropriately.
• Autumn: Home decor, entertaining, woodland motifs and nature’s symbols. Harvest themes encompass fall planting, preserving the summer garden’s bounty, rustic farm references and fall foods. Tagging tip: “Autumn” is a more global seasonal association than the American-based “fall” term; try including both as descriptive words.
• Thanksgiving: October is Thanksgiving in Canada and when Americans begin planning for November festivities. Classic Thanksgiving symbols include the turkey, cornucopia, Pilgrims and Native Americans, seasonal food, and fall foliage. Hostess gifts, table settings, and hearty treats are all items shoppers will be looking for.
• Birthdays: October is the month to give Opals. And don’t forget the autumnal astrological signs are Libra and Scorpio (September 24 – October 23: Libra, October 24 – November 22: Scorpio).
Halloween: Dia de Los Muertos has been appropriated lately for this day, as much as the love for sugar skulls, vintage skeletons, mariachi skulls, with very bright colors and black and white. For more traditional Halloween: All variety of Pumpkins and dark contrasts of orange and black. TV Trends: Sleepy Hollow and American Horror Story and its variations.
Sports: Follow the sports of the season and its trends: Football, Baseball, Hockey.. Keep an eye for which teams qualify for finals or championships as their items will be hotter as the season ends ;)
Fashion and Colors: You know trends come and go, but these are a few things that I have seen pop up frequently in magazines for upcoming trends: Winter White, Knit beanies, Geometric Patterns, Polka Dot (just a little), Ankle Boots, Animal Print, Faux Fur, Loud Color Coats, Houndstooth, Powder Pink, Deep emerald green. For color trends, view:www.pantone.com/pages/fcr.aspx?pg=21058&ca=4
Animals: Foxes, Deers, Bunnies and Elephants are sounding as the preferred animals of the season.. along with unique ones like Jackalopes and Unicorns. As for the sea creatures, instead of octopi, Sharks still have a preference.. along with mermaids and whales.. The one that surprised me because I have started to see everywhere are Moths.. as the antithesis of butterflies, this creatures are becoming a trend for fall, with its muted colors..
September 21 - October 6 Oktoberfest
October 14 Columbus Day / Thanksgiving Day (Canada)
October 16 Boss's Day
October 19 Sweetest Day
October 23rd Mole Day
October 31 Thursday Halloween 2013
Well, keep it up Etsy peeps, add your own suggestions!
Happy Crafting -- ✿(>‿◠)✿